According to DEFRA report 1 in 30 imported egg boxes contain salmonella, increasing to 1 in 8 if those eggs are bought from either Spain or France. Here are some guidelines you can use to help stay healthy:
- Simply avoid salmonella poisoning – buy British, since nearly all British eggs are salmonella free!
- Avoid buying eggs from local shops & markets since these are likely to be imported. Personally I do not like this idea since it hurts the small trader, but…
- Avoid pre-made egg sandwiches since these are more often than not made with imported eggs,
- Longer term we should put pressure on supermarkets such as Sainsburys, Tesco and the Co-op and food producers to say where there eggs come from with proper labelling on food products that contain eggs
- Actually if you take the wording literally – simply don’t eat the boxes 🙂